If you are a sales person for a software company you should be using your product. (I think)...
Since I have never worked at a different software company than the one I work for right now it is hard for me to say that any sales person who sells software should use their own product. So, I will make it simple and say anyone who works for a marketing software company should be using their own product. I am hoping that these tips can come in handy for sales reps of other kinds of software companies too.
If you are selling marketing software then you should use your own product. Here is why and how I would suggest you doing it.
LISTEN TO ME...
Start using the product before you become a sales rep there.
- Even in the interview process you should try the trial.
- How are you supposed to know that you want to sell something if you don't know how it works?
- Put yourself through the sales process and use the trial of their software to make sure you like it and agree with what the company helps a marketer to do.
Once you become a sales rep at the marketing software company you should use the product regularly.
- Come up with a good idea as to what type of company/website you would like to work on marketing.
- What are you excited about or passionate about? Use that as your thing you will "market."
- Even if it is something stupid or funny at least you are using it.
Why should you use your own product as a software sales person?
- It will show credibility that you actually know what you are talking about.
- You can give examples in your own portal of how you do it and the success you have seen with the tools.
- You can generate your own leads if you decide to have a website that is going after a similar target market :)
- You will learn how to use the product really well which will make you a better sales person. It will make you smarter and better with your product.
- You will be able to answer your own questions by learning what it is like to be a customer.
- If you don't know how to do something learn how to do it yourself in your own portal.
- Test things that your marketing team is telling you to do with customers and prospects and see how it works.
Would love to know what you think if you are a sales rep selling software. Do you agree with these things? Do you use your own product and do you think that benefits you in the sales process? Do you think this just has to do with marketing software or could it apply to all kinds of software?