Before you ask your prospect to fill out the contract and send the check in make sure you ask yourself this one question.
#1 question you can make sure you know the answer to before the company buys your software =
Do you know why the company is buying your software?
If you want to take it one step further I would also make sure that you can answer:
What will this company do with the software once they buy it?
If you don't know the answers to these 2 questions you should go through your notes, and get your thoughts together. Figure out what questions you still need to ask the to-be customer before they actually buy. Remember, after the company buys the software is the most important part of the sales process. Once they are a customer we want them to be happy customers, right?
If you want happy, long term customers that will have a delightful experience with your company you should always know why they are buying your product and how they expect to use it.
Just for fun here is a quick list of questions I would make sure that you know the answer to as a person working in software sales:
- Do you know why the company is buying your product?
- What do they want to do with it?
- What do they want to accomplish with your product?
- Who is going to use it?
- What are their expectations on when they will see a return on investment from your product? What does ROI look like to them?
- Have you set expectations correctly and accurately as to what happens after they buy?
If for some reason you cannot answer some of these you should go back to the prospect and tell them that you just want to make sure you have set expectations correctly. Sometimes I state the question like this:
- "If you were to have our software now what would you do with it today?"
- "What are you hoping to do with our software?"
- "What results do you want to see and by when?"
- "On a typical day what would you do in our platform and why?"
How do you make sure that you are bringing on good customers that will be happy with the experience using your product?